Log in

No account? Create an account
Timeline - love like me ・ 日記
non solum memento mori, memento vivere sed etiam
Thursday, April 17th

4:00pm: Work ends. I go home.
5:00pm: Using the laptop, hastily write the following in Notepad:

[START post]

So I have spent the past 2 weeks without electricity in my home, thanks to being unemployed for 4 months, and not having any credit cards with which to pay my bills in the meantime (since living paycheck to paycheck was always preferable to me over constantly digging myself into a hole, since I can't seem to avoid the temptation of spending whatever money is available to me).

It hasn't been that bad, really.

No, seriously.

Aside from the annoyance that I can't do anything online at home, and I can't see a frakkin' thing in my bathroom, it hasn't been that bad. I never watch TV anyway (except online; I have kinda been missing that). I get off work at 4pm, and have generally been home by about 4:15, so I can still read my library books, provided I sit facing the right direction, for a couple hours after I get home. I have a car charger for the Nintendo DS, as well as my cellphone, which has turned out to be a pretty effective alarm clock. I've also been waking up more easily, but I don't know if that's due to the fact that my triple-alarm system has been reduced to a single cellphone and I'm paranoid that I won't wake up, or if it's because I'm going to bed earlier... Actually I'm not consistently going to bed earlier, so maybe it's because there's less noise. No HVAC switching on and off at regular intervals through the night, no computer fan noise from the other room.

My brother let me borrow his laptop (which he'd sent me to fix anyway) a little longer, and while it's annoying not to be able to read the internets or watch TV, it does make it easier to avoid Doctor Who Series 4 spoilers, which I suppose is an upside...

But what I'd like most of all right now is to be able to turn on the goddamn light.

[END post]

Approximately 6:30pm or thereabouts: Unintentionally fall asleep.

Friday, April 18th

2:30am: Wake up. Try fruitlessly to go back to sleep.
4:45am: Get text message from bank confirming paycheck was deposited. Realize it's really not feasible to expect at this point that I'll be able to get to sleep and be able to wake up on time at 6:30. Get up and get dressed.
5:00am: Go to IHOP and have breakfast. I did just get paid, why not?
6:00am: Arrive at work an hour early. Screw around in the break room for awhile.
6:30am: Look up phone number for TXU residential customer service, noting that web site says service is available 24x7. Call the number, have the nice computerized voice transfer me to the department that can reconnect my service. Get a nice automated message saying that this department is open 6am-midnight Monday-Friday (O RLY?), then get hung up on.
6:45am: Call again. Same result.
7:05am: Call again. Actually get to someone, pay them, etc. You know the drill.

4:30pm: Arrive at home. Electricity is still not back on.
5:00pm: Electricity come back on (Seriously, it took them ALL DAY?).

So there you go. That's how it went down. Now getting my internet working again, that's going to be interesting...
Link Previous Entry Share Next Entry
hnpcc From: hnpcc Date: Monday 21st April 2008 06.03 (UTC) (Link)
Well, on the up side you and your neighbours have electricity again!

Good luck with the internet though.
valamelmeo From: valamelmeo Date: Tuesday 22nd April 2008 02.01 (UTC) (Link)
Oh, like usual, it was solved by turning everything off overnight and trying again in the morning.

I'll be seriously dumbfounded the day that doesn't fix my internet.